Interview with Jenn Hoffman
Photographer from Los Angeles, California
1. How do you advertise? MySpace
2. What is the most effective way of advertising? MySpace and other websites.
3. How do you go about finding regular clients? MySpace and by word of mouth.
4. Do you have a staff, freelancers, contract labor, or assistants? I am my own contractor.
5. What are the key ways you would attract new business? Networking as much as you can, it is really important that you know alot of people.
6. How long did it take you to get your business started? I am still growing the business, it is going to take me a few years to really get my name out there.
7. Did you assist anyone or intern? I assisted.
8. What did you take from the experience? The knowledge that I learned from the pro.
9. How did you get your foot in the door? (How did you get started?) Back in college I took a digital photography course.
10. What was your first job in photography? The Photo Lab at Walgreens.
11. Do you use interns or assistants? Yes.
12. What qualities do you look for in an assistant or intern? On time, passion for photography.
13. What qualities turn you off of them? Not responsible.
14. Do you have creative freedom with the postures you take or are they dictated by the people who pay? It goes both ways.
15. In today’s world is it difficult being a woman in the photography business? HECK YES! I did not realize how hard it was going to be!
16. How do you handle clients that want the digital files or want to buy all of the rights to your photos? It completely depends on the shoot.
17. Should a beginning photographer go out cheap? Giving promos, and handouts, to get their work out there? Yes, anyone should?
18. Is there value in being a member in professional organizations? Yes, you get a lot of recognition and respect.